Monday, November 19, 2012

Thankfulness....



As thanksgiving approaches we all are reminded to be thankful for all we have. We take the time to stop and remember all that the Lord has blessed us with. We tend to look at the glass half full rather than half empty. Today in church we talked about what it means to be truly thankful the way that they are talking about in Ephesians. Eph 5:20~ giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.  My pastor made a good point, this verse says give thanks ALWAYS and for EVERYTHING. Not just for our homes, our kids, the food on our tables, but for all the struggles, trials, and daily things we go through that sometimes just don’t seem fair to us. How many of us can say we are thankful to God for everything? Do we tend to use God as a genie in a bottle the rest of the year and when thanksgiving rolls around is that when we find ourselves thanking God? “giving thanks always and for everything to God the father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ” (Eph 5:20). Always is another important word in that verse, not just around thanksgiving should we be praising God but daily.  As soon as we open our eyes in the morning until we are snuggled up in our cozy beds.  

It has been a rough couple of weeks in my house, loss of a job, some changes with my children, etc. I realized today when I was getting my list of things that I am thankful for ready that I had forgotten to praise God for the trials and struggles I have been going through. Can you imagine if God just gave us whatever we wanted? What would your life look like? If God had given me what I wanted a few months ago I would have been in a very different place than I am now. I also realized that when I do go through these trials I learn to cling to Him rather than rely on my own strength. Its all worth it in the end, every tear shed, every heartache if it brings me closer to God. You see when we go through these difficult times its because we need to learn something, God is refining us and shaping us into the women that He wants us to be. God sees the entire picture and has a better plan for us than we could ever imagine. Lets rejoice in the ups and downs knowing that He is working on His masterpiece.

Heavenly father I thank you for your grace and mercy, thank you that you love us enough to not always give us what we want. Thank you for the fire we are walking through at the moment because we know that’s how you refine us. Thank you that when we pray give us this day our daily bread you do, thank you that your love covers it all.  Search our hearts and show us those things we need to surrender to be closer to you. Most of all thank you for our savior Jesus, for without Him we have no hope. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment