Friday, October 5, 2012

a thought on dating.....


2 Corinthians 6:14

Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness?

"Unequally yoked" we have all heard that before, either from our pastors, parents, friends, etc. Mostly in regards to dating. What does that mean to be unequally yoked? Paul teaches that its not right to enter into a spiritual enterprise with those who are not of the same nature... or unbelievers.. The "spiritual enterprise" I want to talk about tonight is dating. Why do we do it? why do we know this command but we choose to disobey? I am going to talk about my situation and hopefully some of you can relate. I started dating someone that I was "unequally yoked" with because I was attracted to him and he was a wonderful fun guy. We had that instant connection, we laughed and joked, I felt like this was someone that I could be me around. At the beginning I cared that he wasn't a christian and he assured me that he did believe in God and would come to church with me. I was like okay this is awesome! The more we dated the more I felt uneasy but I was able to push those feelings under the rug. I did absolutely love this guy and had a connection with him but I felt like I was in a constant battle between flesh and spirit, a battle between what I wanted and what I knew God wanted. Little things would come up and I thought that I was a strong enough christian to stand firm and not waiver but no such luck. 1 Corinthians 15:33~ Do not be deceived: "Bad company corrupts good morals".  Truth is I put myself in a situation that I was almost doomed to fail. I started a relationship and made a connection with someone who I knew deep down couldn't work. I mean in theory we could have worked I guess, we loved each other and if we got married there would have been great times, but I would never know the closeness and intimacy in the marriage the way god intended it to be. If God is the center of my life but not the center of his how does that work. If I make decisions based on Gods word and he makes decisions based on how the "world" views things we would have some rough times ahead. I would be left feeling empty, longing to know what it feels like to have a true godly marriage. One where we look to Him for answers and we get on our knees when times are good or bad. Christ is the glue that would bind us, forever! Yes marriage should be forever no matter what, although its not always like that.
I guess what I am getting at here is that sometimes people think that maybe somethings in the bible aren't as important as others but truth is God gives us this outline to save us. Protect us from suffering and pain, hurting each other and ourselves. When God says "Don't be bound with unbelievers" its because he loves us so much and wants us to experience things the way He designed them to be. Centered around Him not what we want or think is best at the time. The consequence for me for being disobedient in this area is that I have a connection with someone that I shouldn't. So does he, we have went through unnecessary pain and hurt that all could have been avoided with obedience! It came to choosing between what my heart wanted or thought it wanted and what my soul wanted and longed for.

Sweet girls, god has a plan for us and the man for us that he created just for us! Someone who loves Him just as much as we do. Reading song of Solomon excites and encourages me, in chapter 3 it talks about finding "the one my soul loves and holding onto him and not letting go". In chapter 4 reading about Solomon love for his bride is amazing, it touches my heart. When we stay in Gods will for our lives and do things His way the results are like nothing we can imagine. I am not by any means promising a wonderful perfect marriage if we marry christian men but having the same "handbook" for marriage and the same love for the Lord you can surely conquer the world and go through times that make people sit back and say "hey, there is something different there" We can bring more glory and honor to God and isn't that what this life is about?

Heavenly father thank you so much for the institution of marriage, thank you for your word, thank you that whenever we are confused on life or what choice to make we can kneel before you and confess that and go to your word to find an outline for our lives. Help us Lord to end anything that is a hindrance to us spiritually and draw us close to you. If we are searching Lord show us a picture of what you want for us, give us peace and assurance that you will provide. Thank you God for your grace and mercy and your unconditional love. In Jesus name.. Amen...

1 comment:

  1. Amen, Amen, Amen. I want to hug you for writing this, for acting on it, and what a testimony!

    ReplyDelete