Sunday, July 15, 2012

Tame that Tongue

So my tongue has been unstoppable lately. As soon as I open my mouth hurtful things come pouring out. It's like a weapon slaying all those who come in contact with me. All because I am going through things and somewhere along the line I decided that I was no longer going to listen to the holy spirit. Before I was "saved" I had a major attitude and I walked around and said what I wanted when I wanted. I didn't care if it hurt your feelings, in my mind I thought well you can't handle the truth! I'm not mean, I'm just truthful! Well thankfully with much prayer the Lord changed my heart and my attitude and people started to say that I was loving and kind. Those were not words that people would use to describe me in the past. Well today I realized that this ugly trait that I hate in myself was coming back and I need to put an end to it now. I have a cabinet full of bible verses that encourage and uplift me. Every time i feel overwhelmed I go to my cabinet and look and Gods wonderful promises. Well right next to them I have a note card that has my favorite saying,

Before you speak ask yourself:
Is this Kind?
Is this True?
Does this need to be said?
If so.. continue.
If NOT stop!!

Now after the few weeks that I have been having I need to have this tattooed on my arm so its always there for me to look at. So looking from a more biblical view this verse came to my mind.. 

But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person.Matt 15:18 ESV

So looking up the word defiles to really understand this verse even more...
de·file 
tr.v. de·filed, de·fil·ing, de·files
1. To make filthy or dirty; pollute: defile a river with sewage.
2. To debase the pureness or excellence of; corrupt: a country landscape that was defiled by urban sprawl.
3. To profane or sully (a reputation, for example).
4. To make unclean or unfit for ceremonial use; desecrate: defile a temple.
5. To violate the chastity of.

This is very convicting for me, I have to be more aware of how I speak and the things that are coming out of my heart. So the real problem is not what I say but the condition of my heart. So the only way to change that is to pray and beg God to change it, spend more time in the word and more time with other believers who love the Lord. 

Proverbs 4:23"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life."

Jeremiah 17:9-10 "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings."

Romans 10:9-10 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."

So those are just a few verses, there are many more and I think its very clear that when it comes down to it the Lord cares about our hearts. He cares about the condition of our hearts and what is coming out of them. We can all "act" like good christians and put on a great show but the Lord knows the condition of our hearts, there is no fooling Him. You can't trick the creator of the universe who knows our every thought, deepest desires and every hair on our heads... Lets be diligent dear ladies. Lets spend time with the one that should be the love of our lives and watch him transform our hearts! 
Have a happy sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment